HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any opinions on Hornady SST for deer hunting?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:55 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
I know, not another bullet thread. Its the old Ford vs. Chevy, Republican vs. Democrat type debate. But I have to ask anyway. I made a comment on another thread where a deer was taken with a 300 gr Deep Curl about me using a 250 gs SST and received the following response:

Now I bagged a nice little buck on Saturday at 61 yards and got a complete pass through. I didn't hit anything but rib cage and I didn't get the devestation that the Deep Curl showed in the other thread, but a pass through is a pass through, right? I know the Deep Curl gets a lot of love here but I selected the SST based on feedback last year on this forum. I think the Deep Curls were just starting to get attention then.

So should I be worried or will the SST do the job on a big deer? It is too late to change this year as I am in the middle of the season here and I am dialed in with that bullet. But I would definetly change for next season if the consensus is that another bullet would do a significantly better job.

Personally... and it is only me... I would not use a pointy bullet from a ML. With the velocity we are shooting I prefer a bullet that provides more frontal area. The additional frontal are adds to the hit the animal takes, improves hydrostatic shock, and leaves a lot of energy in the animal before it departs.

On the other hand if I were shooting beyond 200 yards - give me a pointy bullet... by then it has slowed down and the frontal area will not matter as much as it will have time to work as it passes through the body.

For a commercial mass production bullet the Deep Curl offers a bonded construction and controlled expansion - so it will not pan cake.

As mentioned Nosler Partitions, Barnes and Knight Bloodlines will and are designed to do pretty much the same thing only a bit more reliable than the Deep Curl.