HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mossberg 500 20ga. Rifled Barrel...Which Slugs?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM
SecondChance
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
At the reasonable price for a 5 shot box of slugs. Buy a few boxes of different brands. Since the barrel is rifled, make sure that the ones you get are not already rifled.

Shoot until you find one that is doing a good job of delivering consistent groups. A side benefit of shooting this much is learning the gun, and becoming comfortable and proficient with it.
I feel that you are referring to saboted slugs? You should not shoot ful bore rifled slugs out of a rifled bore for it will lead up the lands and any accuracy you may have just went out the barrel, literally!!!

I have this same set up in the Mossberg Trophy Slugster in both 12 and 20 and the 20 REALLY shines with Federal Premium Barnes Expanders in 3". The 12 really like them as well, but in 2-3/4".

As said before, they are not going to be cheap, but buy as many boxes as you can afford in the sabotted slugs, Federal, Remington and Winchester in 2-3/4" and 3" and go from there.I would try the Lighfields as well.
Are you using a red dot scope or a traditional cross hair scope for this adventure? It will reflect on your results. What type of yardage are you looking for your style of hunting? Sight in at 50yds and it will give you a hint of what you may expect at 100yds with out wasting so much ammo, for if they don't group at 50 worth a crap, rule out 100. Don't forget to use a solid rest for your testing as well. Good shooting!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-13-2011 at 04:08 PM.