HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ammo for a .44 mag
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stapher1
How's the recoil on the Super blackhawk? It seems like it will have alot of muzzle flip, i bought a hogue grip for it. I hope i didn't waste my money on them.
That's kinda a hard question to answer directly, since recoil for the .44mag is always subjective. If you're practiced, "it aint bad". If you're green, then it mostly sucks. It's definitely a different level than a .357mag or .45acp.

To the point of the question, I own a hogue grip for my SBH's, but I don't use them. I DO use them for double actions, but not single actions....

I was taught to shoot single actions they way they were designed to be fired, so when I switched over to Hogue grips and tried shooting them like the grip shape wanted me to (like a semiauto or double action grip), I actually felt MORE recoil.

Single action revolvers were DESIGNED to roll in your hand, so they could be kocked and fired one handed while on horseback. The grip neck is smaller, the grip angle is elongated, and the grip butt is fat (fore to aft). Under recoil, they roll in your palm, bringing the hammer closer to your thumb for kocking, then the balance of the gun (elongated grip angle) and longer grip toe simultaneously kocks the hammer for you and pulls the grip back into line. Grip them high in the neck with your grip tightest at the top (opposite of semiauto or double action grip), and you'll feel very little of the actual recoil. Yes, you will get a lot of muzzle flip, but the gun will take it back from you on its own. With practice, you'll find a grip that brings the sights perfectly back in line when the muzzle falls and kocks the hammer.

On the other hand, big, "sticky", soft Hogue grips don't let the revolver slip, so you eliminate some of the muzzle flip. The down side is that you feel more of the recoil on the web of your thumb and palm. It's padded more than the hard steel backstrap, but you're still getting more of the pressure.

With the "old school" technique and slick grips, I can operate the hammer faster than if I don't let the revolver slip, so I'm back on target faster for a follow up shot (if needed), AND I don't feel as much pressure on my palm.

Your mileage may vary, but that's my opinion after shooting big bore single actions for over 20yrs, including competitively (cowboy action baby!). Double actions DO benefit from hogues, since they're a more linear recoil anyway, but for single actions, rolling the gun takes away a lot more recoil than adding the pad.