HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Logistical advice for a hunter new to climbing treestands?
Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 AM
doetrain
Nontypical Buck

I know what your saying about space,it is very limited. First get a Bow holder that connects to the lower portion of your climber,this gets the bow out of your way but you can grab it very quickly. Second,if you use a range finder,binos,grunt call etc. get a screw in gear hook that holds 4 or 5 items out of your way. I always take plenty of hand warmers and put heat pads on my lower back for the really cold days.My pack will hold my heavy jacket and an extra jersey or thermal top and heavy gloves a waist muff is better which I put on after I get to my site and climb up. If you sweat real bad wear as little as possible while humping and climbing with your stand,it's tough to stay warm if your soaked with sweat. I try to keep the tree between me and the wind if possible,the bigger the tree the better on windy days. Think through every item because your pack and climber will get heavy quick. I take a pee bottle for those I gotta go moments,small gatoraide bottles work great having a large opening. I use plastic coated bungie cords to cut down on the noise of unpacking my stuff at the tree and I leave them on the ground under leaves. I am able to take my climber to my tree the night before on my private land hunts and cable it to the tree already hooked up and ready to climb in the morning,this is a great help if you can do it. I hope some of this helps you get better prepared,have a great hunt in your new stand.