HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The devil's advocate
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 07:56 AM
oldsmellhound
Nontypical Buck

I can see the advantages, but I don't use it. Only one of my muzzy's will shoot it consistently without getting a modified breech plug. Swabbing is not a big deal for me- like sabotloader I can get off 2 or 3 shots in the field without noticing problems with the crud ring. In all of the testing I've seen, BH is not more powerful than T7 except with heavy bullets or at very stout powder charges (130 grains and up). I have not noticed corrosion issues with T7 - I have left muzzy's uncleaned after shooting T7 for 24-36 hours with no rust issues. I have not noticed storage issues either (and I live in a relatively damp climate) - after opening a jar, I just throw a packet of silica gel in and make sure the lid is closed tight. I just shot out of a jar of T7 that had been opened 4 years ago and it shot just fine and was still very accurate.

As far as price, I've never seen BH in my area for anything less than $32 for 10 oz. T7 is around $24 regular price, sometimes I can get it on sale for $18 - $20. Granted I haven't been shooting a whole bunch the last 3 years or so, mostly just for hunting, so price isn't a huge issue for me.

I think BH is a great powder that has both advantages and disadvantages - it is up to the individual to decide what is most important for them.