HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting Scrapes or Last year's Intersections?
Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Vinny_HC
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by chas0218
Throw a game cam on the scrap and see when he is visiting the scrap and that would tell you if its worth hunting the scrap or intersections. I hunt intersections (where multiple trails merge into one) all the time mostly because that is where i have been most successful. How far are these scraps from the main trail? Most of the time scraps are within 15 yards off the trail... I have seen rubs off the trail a little ways but most scraps I have seen are near the trails.

I would want to hunt between the pine thicket and rub line. My guess is the buck is walking out of the thicket in the morning feeding in the field but passes by his rubs first to freshen some of them up but the other spot would be on scrap 60 how far is that sign post rub from scrap 60?
Scrape 60 and the sign post rub are very close (less than 20 yds). As you can see scrape 60 is right on an ATV trail in the open (as are about 10 smaller scrapes along that atv trail). The sign post rub is more in cover.

That north ridge has very lightly used trails and the rubs and scrapes are few. So would that be a south-wind only hunting spot?