HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2011 Canadian Hunting Adventures
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Saskabush
Fork Horn

Hey Boys!

Where has the fall gone? Hard to believe it's already mid October and I'm so far behind on scouting and hunting I think i'm ahead.

Nice work on the elk Skeet! You guys seem to always get into them and do some damage every year. I've got a cow tag in 54 so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that i'll put my first elk in the freezer this fall. Congrats on the moose too! sounds like a classic "he's down, sh*t! Now we have to get him out" adventure.

Awesome mount JD! I'm sure once the first few snowflakes fly you'll be itching to get out the door.

Any luck on the moose front yet YF?

As for me, have been super busy this year. We bought a new house in Warman (nice and close to the Taxidermist), so between field trips for work I've been building a fence, deck etc. We also added another little rugrat to our family in July, a little boy. I've already got him hooked on wild tv and have been trying to test eye dominance in case i have to stock up on more right or left handed firearms.

My deer season so far has been virtually non existant save one trip with my 2 1/2 year old daughter to set up a trail camera. It was her first trip in the woods with daddy so i was content to let her explore. In the end, she had a great time looking at "ducks on the wawa" and pulling out grass so daddy could set up the camera.

Other than the day with my little girl, the one bright spot in my season so far was being given the "thumbs up" from my boss (the real one, not my wife) to pack a rifle and moose tag on a recent work trip up around Uranium City. We got dumbsh*t lucky and on the fourth day of the trip a bull walked by on the burned out hill across the lake from us. I won the coin toss that morning and since we were still organizing gear on shore, I had time to grab the rifle and let him have it. With the 15 seconds of fun over, we had to take the next day off to cut up moose meat and get it ready to fly home. All in all, a pretty quick but unique hunt. The rut hadn't really got going yet so he was still fat and sassy and tastes great.

Good luck all!

P.s. I was wearing colors when I shot him ( I had put them on that morning just in case). However, I took off a few layers of clothing before we hiked up to the top of the hill he died on.