HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - finally lived the dream
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 AM
m9a9g9i9c
Typical Buck

Third day is a bummer....In the morning the blind on the plains is compromised, even the ostrich keeps away and the old blesbok walks round in a wide circle.
The evening hunt is even worse, we go sit in the blind on the mountain and we scare a big waterbuck who was waiting in the bush when we arrive. After that nothing else comes in except a few birds.
The owner picks us up and he drives us to a dammed piece of water with a nice patch of reeds. At the water's edge stands a beautiful waterbuck, probably the one we spooked on top of the mountain.
A perfect picture, the big ram with the low red sun shining and giving him this golden glow. I had found my new goal and the whole night at the bomafire we talk of this animal. I had a trailcam which we placed at the mountain blind and we find out that a group of 5 or 6 big waterbucks arrive after 6 in the evening. that's about 15min later than when we left the last time.
In the morning we try a different hide at the other side of the mountain and wait for waterbuck. Not more than 10min later two big nyala rams come in and start guzzling up the leftover luzerne. This antilope takes my breath away, graceful and beautifully coloured animals with a very expressive facial marking. But not on my list and a little over my budget. These two suckers keep munching away the little bait I had and I start calculating the possibilities if I can't keep my cool and put the big ram down. My PH doesn't push my buttons and just makes me a better price. I let down and put my bow back on the hook....and I bite my lip. We decide to make a move, leave the hide and go see if there are waterbuck rams at the dam. We take the other side of the dam wall and we stick our heads over to see a big ram with his head down grazing.
We start stalking the reeds but the buck in the dam suddenly disappears like a ghost. A big animal that size escapes us, without making a sound.
The dam gives us cover enough to try going for some impala but we always push too fast and they spot us. Not an easy task when there are 30 pair of eyes looking at 2 guys in camo.
But I had seen my quarry and was pumped....