HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - finally lived the dream
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 09:23 AM
m9a9g9i9c
Typical Buck

After the first morning hunt we went back to the lodge for a brunch and a nice chat with the owner and his wife.
At 3 o'clock we went back to a blind on top of the mountain where we saw the waterbuck females and staked out until it was almost too dark too aim or shoot my bow.
Not bad for a first day, IMHO.
The next morning we went back to the blind down on the plains because I wanted either a chance on that old blesbok, a bigger impala ram or wildebeest all wich we had seen the day before.
The same thing again, the old blesbok came in from the front and I had my bow ready but the animal wouldn't stop, he walked at a nice tempo passed the waterhole and the luzerne and just left us standing there. Now I knew why so many had tried to get him down. We didn't spook him, no wind or noise. He just walked by and he didn't give me a decent shot opp.
So we waited not wanting to sit down and miss out another chance. After awhile wildebeest, about 30 of them started to close in. It takes them more than an 1.5h to close the distance of about 200m. Very careful animals, first the smaller ones and the females come in, then the bigger males and then at last the old bulls, one even with a crooked horn. They all come drink and eat. I let them settle and after they jump and stirr a few times I pick my prey and nice mature animal with at least 27" horns.
He is still standing quartering but I don't like it and wait at full draw for him to turn more towards me. Another bull pushes him out open and I shoot, aiming for heart and lungs. A big rush and the whole herd dashes off, with one bull jumping and kicking. He bolts not more than 30m and falls dead within sight of the blind.
I can see the PH amazed of what the Destroyer/FMJ/Slicktrick combo is capable of. He takes off his hat and scratches his head.
A heart shot and lungs as well, a big puddle of blood evidence of the damage done.
Second day, second animal, again a very pleased hunter.