HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever shot a deer, only to find out it was spotless fawn?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 AM
Sniggle
Fork Horn

Default Ever shot a deer, only to find out it was spotless fawn?

I did, last evening. Feeling bad about it.

I was in the tree stand and 2 deer came into my area. They looked like small does to me, and I was debating what to do. One of them had some type of skin condition, with patches of fur missing on its back. So I made the decision to take that deer. After I shot and the deer hit the ground, I looked down at it and it seemed smaller than I had thought it was. Sure enough, when I got down to it it was just a large spotless fawn. I swore a few times, then got to the business of honoring the animal by harvesting as much meat as I can off it.

I admit I had some bloodlust, after missing a shot at a doe on a federal land management hunt on Saturday, but I would never have taken the shot if I properly judged the deer's size (or lack there of).

I need to become a better judge of deer body characteristics to avoid this in the future.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I will get out back again on Thursday, but I will limit my arrows to something with 6 or more points.