HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hunting shows = lame
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Drfeelsgood
Spike

Agree completely.

These so called "Hunting shows" are nothing more than glorified commercials. They are trying to convince you that if you just buy this particular product, you will be successful.

What really concerns me is the young generation of people that have an interest in getting into hunting. They look at these shows and dont realize that its total horsesh!t, and not hunting. They think you need all the top of the line gear from gun to scents, with this particular cammo and that scope and this tree stand, and these boots and that ammo, and scent cover, and a feeder and a decoy and on and on and on. These kids dont stand a chance! How many hunting shows start with the host saying " Im here with my good friend whomever at whateverland ranch or outfitter". CMON! how many people are gonna drop 6 grand (easy) on a hunting trip to Saskatchewan or Iowa or wherever for a white tail. Some people will, no doubt, but its FAR from the norm. Its all a crock. Its turned into nothing but business and diminishes the spirit of our sport. Even now I have a hard time with a lot of people and their ethics and ideals towards hunting.

I mean, just youtube "deer hunting" and you will see what I mean. Someone shoots a deer and the first thing they do is set up over the deer in that classic pose (you know the one I mean)and start rambling about how this explodo broadhead really did the job, or this whatever product did great and brought the deer in. They mimic the TV shows. Why? I got to think they believe thats what you do.

Hunting is a passion for me, and I feel like theres a lot of so called hunters out there giving it a bad name. I was fortunate enough to be taught by my father who was taught by his and so on and so on, and with it came a very strong ethic. I live in some of the finest hunting grounds in North America and cherish every inch of it. I go out of my way to try to get out with people who show an interest in hunting and teach them what I feel to be the right way of doing it. The last thing I would ever do would be to tell them to watch the "hunting commercial" on tv.