HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Bike man
Spike

It’s hard to say if your spot will be good next year. Some time the food will cause the deer to change their pattern for a year or two and then it changes back. The hunters will think that the spot has forever died when in fact it was only bad for a year. Most likely your spot will be the same as last year. Sound like a very good spot. I have had spots like that , but only during the rut. In 6C 25 years ago before it got screwed up, I saw 24 deer on my best day and it was all morning up to 11:30 and then it picked up at 2:00.

So you need a game plan. Do you want to shot a doe or a lesser buck out of this spot. If you shoot a deer then you are educating the deer and your gun shot will advertizes your location to other hunters. If you must shoot a deer during the season as most hunters are driven to do then I would expect that you will take one there. If you want a big buck then you may want to pass on all deer. It can be tough going several seasons with out shooting a deer, but it can pay off. Your spot may last for 10 to 20 years or it could change in a year or two. Like the base could clear cut it or some one could find the spot and hammer it. It all depends on what you want. All of those deer could really pay off during the rut. About the rub: it’s hard to say. An early rub tells me that it is a most likely a more mature buck. I like to see many rubs more than one big rub. Bucks post a lot or rubs where they hang out . They also will post a lot of rubs in locations where they a forbidden to go in the day time. In 6C one year, it was loaded with rubs and scrapes where everyone parked and walked into the woods. These was night time activity. Day or night, deer post rubs in the openings. Since you are seeing lots of deer I would think that the bucks will be there in the daytime.