HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - In need of some duck recipes.
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 08:27 AM
friscospices.com
Fork Horn

I make duck bacon.
5# ground duck or goose breast. ( I usually freeze cubed breast meat first so when it thaws it leaches the blood from the meat. Then I add 5# course ground hog jowl and a package of the Hickory Bacon cure we sell. Mix it very vigorously for about 7 minutes until it becomes sticky then form into 2lb patties let sit over night in refrigerator uncovered. In the morning remove and place a house fan directly on them and bring them to room temp keeping the fan on high until a dry wax like crust form on the outside. Place patties in the smoker and smoke 6 hours start with low heat (120 degrees) and slowly raise temps over the 6 hours to finish them up when they reach 145 degrees internal temp. set them out on counter until room temp then place uncovered in the frig overnight. In the morning slice across the pattie in thin strips and fry like regular bacon. (If the bacon is crumbly when you cook it then you didnt mix it hard enough,and if it is a bit chewy or rubbery you over mixed it.) Be sure you time your mixing so you can adjust next time.