HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Hunting - My first time out!
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 11:57 AM
trishamarie1104
Spike

Don't judge me based on some typed words or a 3 minute snippet of my life. I have a great respect and deep love for all animals. Which is why I have never been able to stomach hunting, shooting, and killing an animal of any sort. I think ALL of them are beautiful in their own way. I also have a great respect for hunting...the game, the talent it takes, and the danger of it.

I have a sense of humor...I joke about a lot of things. I was saying a lot of the above in jest...the turkeys being ugly, dumb, and whatever...jokes...srsly...I literally have hundreds of turkeys in the area where I live. Too many...they cause traffic back ups. Especially when they wont move, and in some cases lay down in the middle of the street while I'm sitting there honking. I have also joked that I have a vendetta against the turkeys for making me late for work on many occasions...jokes...again. Population control with turkeys along with many other animals is necessary. Which was part of what inspired my idea to start hunting...

It was NOT my idea to "conk it in the head" with my gun, which is apparent in the video. She had already shot a turkey so I trusted her instruction. Like I said above...I stepped on the turkeys neck after I shot it, and didn't remove my foot until it stopped moving for a few seconds. I did research a LOT. I specifically looked at what to do after you take a shot... on a well known hunting show that is how the hunter did it. He stepped on it...others have said you "wring" the neck. I also learned how to field dress, and call turkeys before I went, but I had forgotten how they were supposed to sound as I didn't have any turkey calls of my own to practice on. You can ask my husband...I prepared myself for weeks before I actually went out.

I have gotten nothing but good comments from all of the women and men hunters, or non-hunters regarding my story. Of course most of the hunters made sure to ruse me for using my gun as a club, and told me I'm a dumb**s and could have shot my head off, but pretty much everyone has laughed their butts off at my stupidity...maybe I should change the title to "what NOT to do when you shoot a turkey".

I set out to accomplish something new in my life and I did. I am proud of myself. I may not have done it the right way, but now I know what to expect.