HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are your scariest moments while hunting?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:51 PM
bushanic
Fork Horn

I am a die hard Archery hunter and love to be in the woods anytime I can. Back in 09 there was a big front coming in from the southeast part of VA. I look forward to hunting a front it really get the deer up and moving.I looked at the forecast,it looked like rain would come in a little after 10am and rain most of the day. I have no problem setting in a stand in the rain,you never what might walk by.

That morning I get up and turn the weather channel on and see the rain will move in early then I hoped for,but I decide to go anyway.I have a 45minute ride to the property and on the way I drive though some lite showers to drizzle. I start telling myself this will get the Deer moving before the big stuff come in.

I arrive at the property with plenty of time to get me and my climber up a tree it"s not to far of a walk about 600yds. If i remember right it about 4:30am,sunrise is around 6:45/7am. I get out of the truck,no rain,no drizzle and the temps are nice with a lite breezes. The wind is not the best for this spot but I figure it will change direction though out the day. I work my way down the side of this ridge to my tree around 5:30,still the weather is holding off and the wind are swirling which play into my favor.

Thoughts of a great day are running though my head has I head up the tree,maybe that big 8 pointer will come by or some of his friend. If I set all day I will take a Doe in the end of day,but no a nice Buck will reward me for my efforts.

Its 6?am by the time I settle in for a great day in the woods with hopes of seeing a few Deer. A short time latter the wind picks up a little here and there. I am right in that time of morning where you can just see but cant really make anything out. You know what I mean the time when you think you see something moving. Is that a Deer? What is that? You look harder into the darkness trying to make out the shape of a Deers body but it never materialized. Right at this point I start to feel the wind pick up,now the tree in starting to move around a bit. I will tell this I can take a tree going right to left all day long and a little forward and back not much but I can deal with it. The only problem is that I cant really see the other tree around me But I can feel I am moving pretty good. I start to get this feeling that I might need to start climbing down but I tell myself not to be a wimp and stay it will clam down. Well it doesnt and now its not getting any lighter out if anything its getting darker. Now the tree is really moving, my day pack is even moving around because of the tree" movement. Okay I will get to the hell of the story. The wind become deafening the lighting is scaring the hell out of me and I still have 25feet to climb down with out killing myself. I drop my day pack tried my bow off to the climber and said a to myself I should have stay home. I really don't remember climbing down but I do remember running with just my bow back to my truck where i sat think how close I came to being in big trouble. The storm went on for about 1 hour when it pasted I went back in to get my stuff. There were 3 trees down around the tree I was in,it was still standing with a few limbs gone that would have taken me out with no problem.The weather channel showed a microburst went right over me.I still like to hunt a good front but I have become a better weather man because of that day.