HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Hunting - My first time out!
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 AM
doetrain
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to Wild Turkey hunting 101,and congratualations on a fine bird taken on your first hunt this spring. First,the best way to finish the bird off if your shot does not is to stand on his neck this will finish him off quickly. Clubing it in the head is not the way to end his suffering quickly. If the gun was loaded it's not a good idea to use it as you were,so never use a gun as a club for your own and others safety. I would advise going out with a seasoned hunter next time to avoid some simple errors due to a lack of hunting knowledge. Turkeys are not dumb they just arn't as smart as us at times but if you continue to hunt them you'll find this out soon enough.I think the Toms are beautiful birds from the neck down but after that well they are found wanting. I hope you had someone teach you to clean and harvest the meat,it's not bad when cooked properly. I prefer only the breast meat myself. Take care and good job getting your birds,learn all you can from this site and other good resources on hunting this great bird. I also enjoy your video,the screaming and jumping got me to laugh just a little but over all you handled it pretty good. Also go to the thread called My Life As A Turkey and I think you will gain some insight into the life of these birds.

Last edited by doetrain; 09-23-2011 at 09:47 AM.