HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are your scariest moments while hunting?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 PM
trmichels
Fork Horn

When you think about it, and I've had about 45 years to think about it, duck hunting may be one of the most dangerous hunting sports there is. You are often out there in sub-freezing temperatures, or high winds on water or ice, where the boat can capsize, the ice break or you can fall in and die of hypthermia or get frost bitten, wearing waders that can fill up with water that will suck you down if you cannot get them off. And many of you forget to wear a life jacket, or dress warmly enough, and if you go in, you may not be able to use a cell phone to call anyonhe, you may be stuck thelr with only your wits and common sense to help you out, and those are two of the first things to go - if you are suffering hypothermia. Many of us also hunt alone, with no one close by to help if problems do occur.

You can also die of a heart attack, exposure, or get shot - by careless hunter.

Please be careful out there, wear appropriate clothing and bring along any possible gear needed, expect the unexpected, and be prepared for it, do not hunt alone, and tell your family or friends where to find you if you are late.

I often hunt alone, but my wife and children know all of the roads around my entire 5000 acres of deer and turkey hunting land, and the farm roads I usually park on when in partifcular areas. So, if I am late they first go out to look for the Suburban, then use a car horn, whistle or elk bugle to try and locate me. If they do not find me, and I'm over 3 hours late, they know they need to contact my hunting friends in the area, and call the sheriff.

Better safe than sorry, and better for others - knowing than worrying.

God bless,

T.R.