HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What are your scariest moments while hunting?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 AM
countertop
Fork Horn

My two scariest moments both happened on the same day - January 20, 2009.

It was cold as hell that morning, and we went out to go duck hunting. Got the boat in the water, with ost of it resting on the ice. My buddy was driving the boat, I was walking alongside it on the ice, alternating between an ax and a sledge hammer, trying to break the ice and get out to the moving water in the channel. We finally get out on the river, but the ice flows kept taking our decoys down stream. Plus, we couldn't call any birds it. Driving up the river some, I spotted birds through some trees on the other side of an island. We stopped the boat, getting out with the idea my lab would use his upland skills to flush the ducks so we could shoot and retrieve them. But that was not to be. Following in my buddies footsteps, I took two steps and BOOM, the ice opens up and I fall straight down, luckily catching myself on my shotgun, with the ice cold river water about 1/2 an inch below the top of my waders.

Needless to say, once I got out and back to the boat, we just turned around and headed home.

OH, the second scariest moment . . . Obama was inaugurated that morning.