HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - question about theft protection
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 07:08 AM
littlearrow
Nontypical Buck

bscofield: setting the camera higher, and angled down will cut down on the field of view. Most of the cameras go into a sleep mode to save battery power. This is why various cameras, especially if not set up properly will totally miss the animal or catch the back end. To solve this problem, members usually set up over baits. This allows a camera to wake up and take pictures. Some areas, mine for example, baits are not permitted unless bear hunting. In this case, cameras are set up facing up or down the trail.
Using lock boxes and/or python cables help. If a theif wants something bad enough, they will get it one way or another or wreck the item trying.
Some members suggested seting up a cheap or useless camera as bait and have another camera aimed at it, but camouflaged.
Depending on your financial situation and how often you use a camera, I would try to go for an average price camera, $125.00 to $200.00 range. Cheaper cameras do not give good quality pictures or videos. If one does buy cheaper quality and they are not satisfied, it is money poured down the drain. Two good quality cameras, that are reasonably priced are the 2009 model Bushnell Trophy Trail camera and the Moultrie M80. Bushnell offers a two year warranty, while Moultrie offers one year. Both cameras are small, use AA batteries. I personally have 7 of the Bushnell and 2 of the Moultrie M100. When I bought the M100, there were no M80 cameras in stock. On the U.S.A. side of the border, these cameras are some what cheaper and may include free shipping. On the Canadian side, even if I purchase from the U.S.A., I have shipping, duty and exchange or pay higher buying Canadian.
Good luck in your choice and happy hunting.