HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer passing by
Thread: Deer passing by
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Scottdnramember
Fork Horn

Default My $.02

I'm all for baiting (not legal here in VA) I figure it you can bait fish, why not deer? Plus it lets you be more chooosy on how and what you fill your tags with. To me, a limit is a limit period.

Anyway, you don't say how far behind you the deer are passing. Are they out of range?

Don't think corn or other bait is the end all be all. I have put out cord for trail cams when legal and had nothing eat it but squirrels and birds. If deer have plenty of food, it's not big a deal.

Another thing is the rut will change EVERYTHING! Those bucks that are buddies now won't be a few weeks and they will do weird thingfs to get some action. I would think the right scents would work best, but you might have to move your stand if it keeps up once rut starts or after it settles down a bit.

I think setting up bait in a bad spot is just wasting money. Deer stands are like any other real estate; Location, Location, Location.

To give you a good example, on my property we have a stand in the far back that we have never taken a deer from. We built a new one last year about 50 yards away and almost in site of it through the woods but with a different view of things. We took two deer out of it last year and saw dozens more! The new stand is only about 30-35 yards from another stand but they face different directions with thick woods in between. There are not shooting areas in between and both stands are great with totally different paths/areas covered even though they are very close to each other.