HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Steiner Predator Series
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

It has been my experience that any high quality bino can be expected to provide exceptionally chrisp, clear and concise images. The issue for buyers seems always to be price, and understanbly so. I would suggest that in the $400-$500 range, the quality is starting to show up. I have been down the inexpensive route. And for long range glassing, or hour after hour of scanning the terrain looking for detail, or picking out movement in heavy brush, or determining if what you are looking at is a log or bedded deer in big timber .... it takes quality.

Steiner offers what I'd call a line of good stuff. I would doubt that you would be disappointed. But I am skeptical of claims of being just short of magical.

There are few secrets in building high performing optical gear ... usually patents that have yet to expire. Great glass has been around for decades. It has been the relatively recent development of rugged lens coatings that has been the "magic".

In that $400 price range, Pentax offers a very good value ... and in my opinion so does Bushnell. I'd give them a look see of possible before I dropped my coins.