HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Steiner Predator Series
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Jeff Ovington
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what time of the year your hunting season starts, or what you hunt or where you live.. But mine starts in Sept, for virtually all big game, and I live in British Columbia..
In fall, everything has turned, nothing is green, everything is red and brown orange and yellow...Winter, white, brown, black...
Get the picture? No green....Even our Pine Trees have red needles cause of the Pine Beattle kill..The bottom line is, it takes alot of practice to pic animals out through binos, with glassing from any bino..
I myself use Pentax SP's...I see as many animals from them as my partners see from any of their various makes and models and way way more than my buddy who has a pair of Swaros..
Its come down to training your eye to find animals through a pair..
That's what it comes down to...Bottom line..
Anybody can see with their naked eye a deer in the field and put their
binos up after.. I'm takiing about miles of nothing but sagebrush and
rimrock were lots of thing appear to be 200 class bucks and are shrubs,
and that one thing that appeared to be nothing suddenly jumped up and
walked away..It takes alot of practice.. Alot.. Good binos are a great thing
to have,but you have to be able to know them inside out to get the value out of them.. Nothing wrong with Steiners.. I quite like them, and I do believe they did probably come up with a lens coating that enhances brown
shades in green background.. However for terrain and seasons I hunt, it gives me personally no advantage over any other bino out there..
Maybe elsewhere they might... A place that is always green...
If my hunting took place in spring and early summer, I would have a serious look at them.. But I feel it comes down to the individual looking through any bino no matter what they are..

You have to know what to look for when viewing..

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 09-11-2011 at 02:04 AM.