HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dove Season at C.F. Phelps WMA
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 PM
kvmapr
Spike

I've got an update for this topic. I hit the second day of the season at Phelps WMA and found there were a lot of trucks parked at the dove fields. But I pushed to the far end of the fields and found a great place to set up, well away from any other shooters.

The fields were planted in corn, and a dozen rows around the edges had been mowed down. Plenty of grain had hit the ground and would draw the birds. I put out a mojo dove decoy and a few standard decoys in front of my hide.

From noon to 2 there were just a couple of birds in the air, none close enough for a shot. But after 2 things started to pick up and a couple birds came within range for a shot. The decoys definitely seemed to pull them in as both birds dropped down for a closer look.

In the other parts of the field I could hear guns from a half dozen different groups, but not for long. At 2:30 the skies opened up and poured rain, the day was shot, no more birds.

All in all, I'd probably go back and hunt dove at Phelps again, but not on Saturdays. Just too many people. Wednesday's will probably be better. I don't think I'll ever have a great day of doves there, too much hunting pressure, but I should be able to get a bird or two from time to time. In the absence of anywhere else to hunt, this will have to do.

Last edited by kvmapr; 09-10-2011 at 08:50 PM.