HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Simmons 8 Point 4x32
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 09:18 PM
hometheaterman
Nontypical Buck

I've not used the 4x32, but I've had decent experiences with an 8 Point Blazer in 3-9x40, and an older 8 Point Deerfield. The Deerfield was before Bushnell owned Simmons and it tracks pretty accurately, has been dropped banged around, and just beat to heck and back and has always held up and not lost zero, and the glass is pretty impressive for a scope of that price range. I wish I had about 10 more of these scopes and had I know how that one was I'd have bought more.

The other 8 Point Blazer I had was good too, but not as good. I also only used it for 8 months or so, not 7 or so years like the above scope. It also had surprisingly good glass for a cheap scope. It had better glass than my Leupold VX-I, but not as good as my Burris FFII's. I found it to be identical glass wise to the Nikon Prostaff I replaced it with. If there was a difference, I couldn't tell it. So that part was good and for any and all hunting situations I'd be in, it would have been more than fine.

When it came to shooting it, I went to make some adjustments and to my surprise they didn't track anywhere near 1/4th" at 100 yards like marked. It was mounted on the rifle by the previous owner, and when I shot it I was shooting 2" right, and started out by making 4 clicks left and I was shooting 2" left. So I went back to the right 2 clicks, and I was dead on. It seemed like each click was more like 1" than 1/4". That being said, once I sighted it in I shot it for 8 months or so, and I never touched the adjustments again and it never lost zero. I couldn't complain about it. To me, I certainly wouldn't be making adjustments in the field with it, but if you are going to sight it in and not mess with the adjustments again, I bet it will be fine.

I know the previous owner had been very rough on this scope and he said it always held up well for him. I on the other hand while not easy on it, never dropped it or anything. I only sold it to try something else.

I also have a Simmons 8 Point 3-9x40 I got in a package deal with another scope recently, but I don't have anything to mount it on to test out. Once again though the glass is better than I'd expect for the price.

All in all, while I know some people have had bad experiences with them, I've had pretty good experiences, and I have lots of friends that use cheaper Simmons scopes and most of them have had good experiences with them too. Some of them are very rough on them. One thing I will say, is many of them own scopes that were made before Bushnell took over Simmons, and the Blazer is the only one I've used that was made since then.