HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to make an H&R 243 shoot half decent?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:58 PM
GTOHunter
Nontypical Buck

Have You been keeping the barrel clean...?Maybe You need to shoot a few rounds,clean the barrel shoot some more and clean it again just to see if the barrel isn't fouling and causing problems?I have found that the shorter barreled Youth Guns can be less accurate and will end up having a lot more felt recoil because of the shorter/lighter weight barrel and stock.....get a decent 22 to 24 inch barrel length Rifle with a twist that will handle heavier bullets and set up a padded rest,Bi-pod or shooting stick so the Youth can steady their Rifle and make better more accurate shots!I use a Caldwell Leadsled to sight in my Rifles then I shot them on the same bench with a padded rest or sand bag.

Savage makes a Light weight Hunter in a Model 11 and 111,Browning has the Micro-Hunter Rifle for Women and Youths that is lighter,shorter and easier to handle.I have a Rossi .243 single shot Rifle in the .243 and have found it needs to be cleaned after 3 or 4 shots to keep it accurate!

Another Rifle by Savage would be the Edge/Axis that is reasonably priced abd a pretty good shooting Rifle for around $300.00-$350.00 with the Combo package sporting the Bushnell 3X9X40mm scope.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 09-08-2011 at 07:05 PM.