HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Bike man
Spike

Hunting pressure has little to do with the rut. A cold snap seems to help it along and a heat wave seem to shut it down. I can not say that I am 100% correct, but from what I have put together, the rut can be short for a week where every thing shuts down after that or it can be stretched over many weeks and be somewhat mild. The health of the doe ( fat) and the spike in the food supply is what drives it. With the dry hot summer I would say that the deer are stressed a little. If there were no acorns and no grass to eat then I would say the rut would be in the 3rd week in November. There seems to be some acorns this year so this would move it forward to where it should be. That is the first two weeks in November. If the acorns are sporadic then I would expect the rut to be spread out over many weeks. In places like mainside where there is plenty of grass then I would always expect the rut to happen in the 1st two weeks of November every year regardless of acorns. It is hit and miss in predicting and I sometimes find that am not even close.