HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Have we lost focus?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 05:12 PM
BetterBirddogs
Fork Horn

I find that the longer I bowhunt the more my priorities change in the stand. When I was a younger man (a teenager) I was happy to see a deer let alone kill one. My first buck kill was a 4 point fork horn. My greatest accomplishment in my opinion. As I have gotten older (33 now) I find that my time in the woods is far more precious to me then I ever imagined. I met my fiancee' 4 years ago and she is now a bow hunter. I sold my 14 year old neighbor a spare bow I had and now he is looking forward to hunting the youth season Saturday morning. I'll be up with him and in the stand with him as the sun rises on Saturday morning. That's what hunting has become to me. I have killed some big deer since my first buck and I will let young deer walk right by me all day until I see a deer I'm interested in harvesting. That doesn't mean I've lost focus. It means my standards and my expectations of my own hunting ability have increased. Just like everything else in life we all start at a basement level and work our way towards something. That something is different for everyone. What a trophy animal is can only be determined by the person who harvested that animal. When I get into my stand I pray to the Lord to keep me safe and return me home. I pray in thanks for the opportunity to hunt in His wilderness. I pray for all of the hunters hunting that day, that they may have a successful and SAFE hunt. I don't know any of you but you're all included in my prayer. We're all brothers and sisters in the woods. What I don't pray for is a big buck to walk right by me. In my mind the very fact that I'm in a treestand has already made my morning a success.