HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to make an H&R 243 shoot half decent?
Old 09-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Colorado Luckydog
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Bed the scope rail - Get an AcraGlas Gel bedding kit from Brownell's. Basically just remove the scope rail, clean/degrease everything, and give the barrel a coat of release agent. Lay the gel under the scope rail so there's plenty to form a solid 'bed' between the rail and the barrel, then install the screws and tighten them down. This makes sure the scope rail wont have any movement or flex.

You can mess around with the trigger, I've never done it with this rifle, but here's a sight that may help. http://www.perkloafm.com/downloads2.html It's got a couple of things you can download that tell you how.

Another thing could be the drop time on your hammer, and I don't know how you could change that. Just make sure your shooting with proper form and proper follow through

You can also probably float your barrel and bed the forearm, but once again, I've never done that on this rifle.

Hope this helps, my experience is limited as I was only helping a friend get his shooting a little better.
-Jake
Good advice if you really want that gun to shoot, at all cost. I'd just be careful in how much work and money I spent, trying to polish a turd.

I'd sell that sucker and buy a used anything or even a Savage. I can't believe I said to buy a Savage!