HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Diy bear hunt success...
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Bukmastr
Typical Buck

Default Diy bear hunt success...

Just got back from a DIY Northern Minnesota wilderness bear hunt. Been driving 8 hours 1 way for three weekends to bait some very remote areas. Packed the baits way in off the logging roads to hunt where I found good bear sign on scouting trips and past hunts.
My wife ran camp keeping us fed and protecting our gear. We camped in the woods along side a gravel road.
The 1st couple weeks the baits were mainly being hit by sows and cubs, and some average bear, but the bigger bears started hitting just before the season opened... The last week I went up and baited every day with less bait to ensure daytime hits. We had cameras on all 6 of our baits and all were getting hammered.
I need to get the pictures and video clips from my hunting partner to post some of the bigger bears... Chad ( my hunt partner ) got his 1st bear ever ( a 300 dressed weight bear ) opening day 2 hours on stand... I shot mine on day 2, it had a little ground shrinkage, but was still a decent bear. ( 120 to 150 dressed ) I have done this hunt a few times. but this is chads 1st experience. I think he is hooked. We got both of our hunts on film.
It was quite the work out getting these bears, especially Chads packed out of the woods.

Chad with his bear:

My bear: