HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Bike man
Spike

I did not write the articles. David Hart need to write some articles about hunting military bases and he was given my name. And later he did more articles about me in several other magazines. I did a Google search with the words (Barry Henningsen David Hart buck) and came up with hunting article http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdo...=140569&type=A
Some of the articles seem to be missing. There was one in Buck Masters, Deer and Deer hunting, Virginia Game and Fish and maybe some other articles. So you can have at it with the searches. I am not sure if I deserve all of the publicly. But I do feel that I am in the top 20 on the base out of about 1000 hunters. David changes some of what I tell him so what you read may not be exactly from me.

Last year was the best year ever for big bucks on Quantico and I wished I had not spent as much time doing the Fairfax County park hunts. About my setup: I do not do things like normal people. I have issues in that I can not stay awake. And I can not sit in a normal seat. I use a Lone Wolf climber with an old design of a wooden platform and it uses a v bar instead of a belt. It has not been in production for over 15 years. Anyway I put the seat climber over my head and I sit on the platform. It is great for sleeping and there is nothing in the way for the bow to hit regardless of shot angle. Now this makes it extremely challenging to get to a standing position. I take off my slip on boots in the stand and put on many socks and hunt in my stocking feet. I pack in my clothing in a homemade duffle bag and change into clean clothing that are some what scent free and my clothing has no buttons , zippers, Velcro or any other noise makers. In the cold weather I wear 5 or more pairs of camo sweat pants and tops. The outer most layers are size 3x and I use oversized long sleeve camo t-shirts on top I am able to move and get to a standing position without any noise. I use a home made suicide belt as a safety belt. It is quite and I can hunt facing the tree. I prefer to hunt facing the tree, The belt keeps me from falling out, but if I am stuck hanging on then I will most likely die. I take my big bucks up close like 2 yards and 3 yards and 6 yards and 7 yards and several at 10 to 15 yards. I can dance on my stand without alerting the bucks. You want cover in the tree, but I sacrifice cover for location. 12 yards is the preferred distance. In regards to sleeping I snore the deer in. Just kidding, but I do wake up when they get with in 20 yards as I can hear them. I prefer to be in the thick stuff where I can hear them before I see them. When it is thick like that the deer ( when a ways off) can not seem me fidgeting in the tree. And I do not move when I am half asleep and using my ears instead of my eyes. But I miss too muck. On the rare occasions where I get a good sleep I can see what I have been missing.
In my pack I have a saw, flashlight, food, water, urine bottle, glow tacks toilet paper, batteries and two 55 gallon trash bags just incase I get caught in the rain. One bag is for a makeshift rain coat and the other bag for clothing and equipment. And there is sometimes an umbrella. I use a homemade bow cushion. My bow always hangs on the tree and I use a sock stuffed with whatever and a string through it and it ties around the tree so that my bow will be cushioned and not rock in the wind or rattle when I go to pick it up.

Approach to the tree is most important. My trees are prepped in advance with all tiny bushes cleared from the base of the tree and on my walk way so that I can get in and leave with out crossing a deer trail and without touching any brush. This is not a clear-cutting operation. You want to keep all that you can. And my shooting labes are very small and are more like holes. You only need a 3 foot holes to shot through. From the deer trail, put your head at the height of the kill zone and look to where you would be in the tree and cut tiny holes for shooting lanes.

About close in shots of 2 to 4 yards. Most people mess them up and wound the deer. The shot must be practice and you need to know where to hit the animal and get the arrow to travel near the heart. I could write a page on the close in shot.

I have a home made mount for the bow on the front of the bike. Broadheads must be secure and I put my stand on my back with a duffel bag strapped to the stand. When I get a deer I take all of my equipment back to the car and then go back with the bike and tie the deer to the bike. The deer hangs close to the ground so that you do not have to fight the weight. I have an article about biking the deer out that I can send it to you.