HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help reloading .45 Colt (+P)
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Pawildman
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HEAD0001
Personally I like 2400 powder for my heavy 44 magnum and 45 Colt loads(light loads also).

You need to read up on reloading revolver cartrdiges. They are different than loading rifle shells. And the dies are also different. And you use diferent dies than you use for rifle reloading.

I prefer to crimp in a separate step with a separate die. For a revolver a crimp is necessary. Also to get good performance from 45 Colt loads you definintley need to use a HEAVY crimp. You will get substantially more consistent burn with the heavier crimp.

Take your time. There is nothing difficult about it. Just different.

Some people do not trim the brass. Or at least their semi-auto brass. Not sure about their revolver brass. However I always trim every piece of revolver brass to the same length. When applying a crimp on heavy loads consistency is king. IMO it is impossible to control pressure consistency if your brass is of different length. Just an opinion. Tom.
..... Listen to what Tom said. He's absolutely correct, and case length is critical when loading these type of rounds. You gotta make sure the crimp is the same place each time. Trimming is the key. I use 2400 also.. a little dirty, but gives me good results.