HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 03:20 AM
Bike man
Spike

I do not like to talk about where I hunt. It is top secret. I do not need more hunters around me. I take no offence that you asked. I do not hunt individual bucks although I could and it would be more rewarding. I hunt good spots. The same spots can be capable of producing good bucks year after year.

You can look for multi year rubs and scrapes. You can reorganize trees that were scared up years ago and you can see scrapes that have old rotting stubs of at the on the licking branch where a buck broke off part of a licking branch years ago.

The more the area is closed the better it is. I hunted 2 miles back in 11A with my dad in 1970. I developed a good bow spot back there back in the early 90’s I biked in between 11A and 10C. They moved the 11A boundary and my spot got gobbled up by 11B. In recent years, I had to make the effort to learn a new spot in 11A. It is only open 2 or 3 days during the bow season and 2 or 3 gun day before Christmas. Sometimes it is closed all year long. You have to drop everything and go in when it is open. It took about 5 years (6-7 visits) to get some spots working for me.

There is a rule that sometimes applies and that does not apply to Quantico very much. That is “the fewer the deer the bigger the bucks.” Fewer deer make for better food and fewer hunters and the buck does not exhaust his winter fat reserves chasing the does all winter un till they all get breed. And not get exposed to hunters while chasing does. A doe will go into heat every 28 days until she is breed. I do not seek out low deer populations, but I do not let low deer populations discourage me too much.