HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Peak rut dates
Thread: Peak rut dates
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 03:20 PM
huntingkidPA
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
Another thought after re-reading your post TR.... You say hunt hard from sunup till 9 am and then from 4 on. Having worked in a Taxidermy shop I have also seen just as many buck be brought in that were shot between 10 and 2 during the rut as the times you listed. I think better advice would be "if you can sit in the woods during the rut than you should sit" because during the rut you are just as likely if not more so to see bigger buck during all hours of the day as you will during the times you listed. I hunt out of state where there is nothing else to do during hunting hours other than hunt so I sit all day during most the days I am there and while the opening of the season and late season are slow during the late morning/ noon hours, the days during rut are always more exciting with very little slow times as compared to the rest of the season. Understand this is hunting in a state where there are more deer than what I see in Pa, would I be as willing to sit all day in Pa??? Probably not because I can hunt a 2 weeks straight in your average woods of Pa and not see the quantity or quality deer I see hunting 2 days in the average woods of the midwest.
i could not agree more about not seeing many deer in PA woods, atleast the national forests etc. but down near pittsburgh there is supposed to be a buck that will break the state record...no body got him last year.

But i will tell you if you want to save money on gas, AND see more better deer, hunt close to home (i love hunting the big forests to but its 50$ for gas a trip, and i try to hunt everyday after school). Big patches of woods outside of the suburbs is where i do a lot of my archery hunting and i saw a buck that still gives me nightmares.. (didn't mean to hack this thread)

Anyway the first 2 weeks of Nov. are always best where i hunt, but i think i have seen more the last week of Oct.