HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Brand new to the sport
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Mite
Typical Buck

Hmm..Wow, where to start. Most has had mentors either their father, uncle or friend. That is where I would start. Finding a friend that is seasoned hunter. Much quicker to get you started and make memories. But if you have to start from scratch, the following you would have to learn:

1. Shotgunning. I don't how much you know about shooting but you have to learn to shoot a flying target. My recommendation for a new shooter would be a pump. You would need a lot of practice at the range.

2. Regulations. Read and know your regulations. What can you hunt, where can you hunt and what's the min. equipment you need.

3. Dogs. Fairly large subject. You don't actually need a dog but makes hunting a lot more fun. Also, a dog will increase your success rate in finding cripples tremendously as a lot of birds will run. There are two types of dogs; flushers and pointers. Each will need different types of training. Here, is where you don't want to take shortcuts. If someone claims you have to take your dog to the range or pop firecrackers or some such nonsense then nod & smile then walk away.

Most bird hunters I've met are fairly down to earth and are willing to give all types of advice. If you're willing to pay 1/2 for gas, many will take you along. You'll find advice and those will to teach at gun clubs, field trial clubs, ranges, etc.

As to actually hunting, its just a lot of walking carrying a shotgun.