HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NYers Remember when ...
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 08:19 PM
TRACKER
Typical Buck

Default I agree ..

Originally Posted by PREDATE
I agree, but like you said, there is no surefire way to accurately predict numbers. I participate in the Bowhunters survey to try and do my part, but it's not mandatory. There are so many variables that could affect deer herd #'s eg. harsh winter, car vs. deer, coyotes, poaching, low buck to doe ratio, natural causes, people with 5-shot magazines and an itchy trigger finger, and so on. The way I see it is that some people just won't put forth the time and effort to evaluate the local herd without some incentive. Maybe if the DEC would create some public awareness as to the importance of keeping track of the #'s then it could be something that even non-hunters could partake in!!! If we helped them(non-hunters) realize that a close evaluation of the statewide deer population would not just be helping hunters, but rather maintaining a healthy herd of deer for everyone to enjoy. Hey, I might be onto something!!!!
I hear ya , just need to get everyone on the same page .
Variables are evidable .
For instance , where I own I see deer 9 out of ten times I hunt .
Theres days where I see 6 to 8 deer and sometimes even 20 to 25 deer in one evening hunt .
Although I always see more deer on evening hunts versus morning hunts , I here other local hunters say they see very few within a 5 mile radious ,,,,,