HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2010 Northern Virginia Buck Photos
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Grizzl
Spike

Originally Posted by QuanticoKidd
Very cool Grizzl I hunted quantico last year and didnt see any mature bucks I killed a nice 11 pointer in 2009 and saw some nice bucks that same year on mainside but missed my chance hopefully quantico will be hot this year any tips would be great I'm just 23 years old and I try to hunt smart but I'm addicted to them mature quantico bucks becuase all I hear is guys say oh there are no big bucks on quantico there are huge bucks they are just smart so any tips would be great thanks plus I'm a bow hunter
There are BIG animals at Quantico. They are just SO aclimated to humans and they pattern hunters like you would not believe. They KNOW when NOT to move and will sit tight. One trick people use during gun season is for two people to walk the same path but the 2nd guy is 100 yards behind..the deer circle the 1st hunter and walk right into the second..

The BIGGEST TIP I can say is DON'T SHOOT an animal less that 100".
That seems hard but I started video taping deer I pass on and it's JUST as fun (at least to me). So I am content to wait. On Quantico, the big deer learn to let the young ones run interference...let em walk buy and a big one could follow. Lastly, (for now) get into your stand as EARLY as you can..BEFORE most hunters even enter the woods..be setup and QUIET...I took my best in 6C just as it was legal shooting light..he was heading to bed in a VERY thick pine cluster that I had scouted out.

Other topics are scent control, direction of approach to the stand-not cutting trails, using other hunters to your benefit, hunt the evening!!!, and between Oct 25 thru 2nd week of November (depending on moon phase and the rut)..FIND THE DOES and setup there...wait for the estrus cycle to heat the woods up..

Anyway..I'll be there again for 3 weeks this fall. There are at least 2 150's I am looking get close two before they get shot off. The area they are in has been closed for 4 years and was opened last year..LOTS of big animals came out of there but a good crop survived...another gun season shot thin them out next year though.

get the report from range control on how many days the areas were open to hunters the previous season..work the odds by scouting less pressured areas..

6C gets hammered and is a DMAP are which means does/button bucks get shot off..its a LOW deer area BUT the cemetary is a sanctuary and holds monsters..they only cross when in rut..PLUS you have the Prince William Forest no Hunting accross 619...I've seen monsters crossing the road pre-dawn going back to the park...you just have to ID one and setup hoping he's late one time

email me...be glad to help