HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling technique: Changing Calls (Elec to mouth)?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Howler
When using an Ecall, I almost always shut it off eventually when I have a coyote coming in. I Basically shut off the caller once I beleive the coyote to be with-in hearing range of my lip squeek.
This is something I'm more used to. I guess what my point was that he used the same type of sound, we were using an electronic cottontail distress, and he swapped over to a cottontail distress mouth call. Maybe it was just the tone and pitch of the mouth call which was deeper and fuller than the E caller, so maybe they got spooked by the game suddenly "up sizing".

It caught me off guard, and obviously caught the coyotes attention too.

Granted, I've had a lot of instances where coyotes inexplicably take off (or less frequently, inexplicably come running in at a sprint), so I probably shouldn't hold ONE bad experience against the technique, but when the FIRST impression is a bad one, eh.... That area is DEEP in fur, one guy can draw 5 dogs in an evening without even working too hard, so getting blown is kinda frustrating.