HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Calling technique: Changing Calls (Elec to mouth)?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Default Calling technique: Changing Calls (Elec to mouth)?

I typically only use one type of call for one sound during a set, i.e. if I'm using an electronic cottontail distress, I wouldn't use a cottontail mouth call (although I might use a mouth locator, or mouth whimper).

I was home visiting family this weekend and had a chance to go calling with an old highschool buddy and ran across a technique I'd never heard of. He swears by using an electronic call until he spots them, then uses the same sound mouth call to finesse them in.

HOWEVER, on one of our sets this weekend, we spotted 2 dogs coming in at a lope from about 800yrds. He switched off the electronic caller, and started calling the same sound with a mouth call (which obviously didn't match the exact sound, pitch, and tone of the electronic caller recording).

The dogs slammed on the brakes, and never came any closer. We spent 20min trying to lure them in closer, but they milled around just out of range until finally losing interest.

I felt like we might as well have honked a truck horn at them.

I definitely understand the logic, as it'd give you a lot better control of the call when you need it the most, but it sure didn't seem to work according to plan that day.

Is he the only one doing this, or is it a common practice? In 20yrs+ of calling, I'd never seen anyone else do it, but then again, most of the guys I go with are ALL mouth calls, or ALL electronic, and never the two shall meet.