HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why do people hunt bears?
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 06:58 PM
NCZ09
Fork Horn

Muley Hunter, I don't intend to get in arguement with you, but you missed my point about hunting bears over bait. Your're right sitting in a stand is not hard, but harvesting a bear isn't as easy they make it look on hunting shows on TV. Thats what I ment about not being easy. The success rate was 29% in Minnesota last season, which was a little higher than usual. A lot of hunters sit over a lot of bait sites and don't get a chance to harvest a bear. What I am trying to say is don't judge a certain type of hunting because of a TV show. You stated in your response to me that if I would have walked around in the woods I would've not even seen the three cubs. Again you are probably right and thats why bait is used in Minnesota and other places with big woods.

I would also like to say I went with an outfitter because I live in southwestern Minnesota which isn't bear country. I would have to travel at least 150-200 miles to set up and maintain bait sites. I did not have to do a lot math to figure out with gas prices that it was cheaper to hunt through an outfitter. I enjoyed my bear hunt and the time spent in the woods and nature. To me thats what hunting is about. Pretty sad I am on a hunting forum defending and explaining that. No hard feelings just hope you see my point.