HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why do people hunt bears?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Most areas that have a good population of black bears are in areas of very heavy vegetation where it's impossible to hunt them other than baiting like the OP mentioned, or running them with dogs. The other way is spot/stalk out west where there is high country to glass them when they area feeding in the open. I've only done a baited stand type hunt once on a flyin hunt that I won up in Manitoba on another website in 2009. It was a lot of fun and, although there were a lot of bears in the area, the Spring was late that year and we didn't take but one bear out of that particular camp in the 3 weeks the outfitter operated it that year. This Spring I got a message from Monty that everything meshed and a lot of the hunters filled their tags. I used to night hunt coons with dogs when I was a kid back in the 50s and I would love to go after a bear with dogs sometime, as well as a cougar, because the chase is the thrill of that type of hunting and not the actual kill. In fact, that is basically what I consider every type of hunting that I do and if I squeeze the trigger and take home some meat, then all the better, but not a necessity!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-07-2011 at 09:03 AM.