HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New toy for deer season
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Peadjis
Spike

Originally Posted by Cossack
Limbsavers may take some "twang" out of the limbs (seems to bother archer more than deer) they also slow the speed of the limbs, ergo the speed of the arrow by 8-10 fps, depending where they are placed. ANY application to limbs or string will reduce arrow speed. Fellow brought in a bow for reserving recently with 8 (EIGHT) rubber string spiders on string and cables, wich affected net loss of 50 fps! Said it was a "different bow" once removed. String stoppers do not affect arrow speed, cause limited reduction in noise (not to the point that deer won't hear it) but do provide some insurance against bow damage if bow is dryfired. Recommend them esp if fast string is used.
Way to state the obvious, I think its clear to everybody that limbsavers slow down a bow, but with these types of Crossbows 8fps isn't noticeable at all, Also i never told this fellow to put on 8 rubber string spiders, that's retarded and yea obviously getting an extra 50fps out of a bow will make it a whole other animal, but 8fps is unnoticeable.

Also once again you stated the obvious, everyone knows that a string stopper won't affect arrow speed because by the time the string hits the stopper the arrow has long left the string.

Also out of curiosity, what was the point of your post? Like I mean I've used limbsavers and have no issues with them and recommended them to this guy, you posted talking about how putting 8 string spiders on your bow is a bad idea because it reduces fps by 50....Like i get your point about the limbsaver slowing a bow down by a ridiculously small amount, but after that you just stray offtopic. Since putting 8 string spiders on a crossbow's string is almost like having a guy hold the string while you shoot it, in other words it will obviously reduce the bow's fps.

Originally Posted by srwshooter
better get them in close,recurves are really loud. a buddy bought one last season used. him and his brother setup on the edge of a field 75yds apart. he shot a doe with the recurve and spooked a buck under the other guys stand. his brother said it was so loud he thought it had exploded. its up for sale now.
I would be interested to know what crossbow he was using?

At any rate unless the string snapped or the limbs hit a tree "So loud he thought it had exploded" sounds extremely exaggerated, the excalibur ibex i own has no dampning system, no leaches, no limbsavers and apart from a bit of "twang" when the string hits the stopper there is hardly any noise. As for how my equinox is setup its a fair bit quieter than my friends barnett predator.

Only crossbow I've shot that sounded like an explosion was a 150# Hou Shieh, but it did nearly explode...the string snapped and one of the limbs cracked, but i sure as hell wasn't hunting with that thing. So unless he was using one of those i don't know what your talking about.