HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are they realy doing our sport justice???
Old 08-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

As an extension to what I have posted above, I don't use camoflage (I have a camoflage warm parka, I guess that is an exception). I don't buy range finders. I don't buy scents. I don't buy feeders or stands. I do think the TV shows are primarily directed to selling goods. Selling guided hunts. Selling outfitted hunts. Selling silly gear that you don't need to hunt. Frankly, watching those TV hunting shows gives me a creepy feeling and I never watch them any more for that reason. Just way over the top too commercialized. I feel the same way about hunting magazines which I used to buy.

I do read books about hunting. These do not reek of the same commercialization issues. I do find that many of these books fall short of what I'm looking for. Most of them are stuck at the level of providing advice about gear and rudimentary hunting skills. This information is certainly of value to a person who has never hunted the subject species before or not read other books. But where are the books with more advanced hunting information? There aren't many out there.