HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are they realy doing our sport justice???
Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

Everyone has their own ideas on these kind of subject. You asked me for mine, so I'll share.

For me hunting is not an activity I do that can be measured by the size of the antlers of the animal I take. Sometimes I take females that don't have antlers at all. I like to cook gourmet meals that center around my game meat and drink excellent wine with them. This is part of my hunting experience but not all. If it came down to that, it would be easier and possibly a better eating experience just to buy some excellent lamb chops, leg of lamb, excellent beef meat and cook that up.

Hunting for me is a complete constellation of things. I kill the deer (lately not deer but instead elk -- but this is a deer forum and when in Rome . . . ), I field dress it, I skin it, I cut it into quarters, I break the quarters down into meal sized packages, I wrap and freeze, and later I myself cook the meat. I need to put myself in the field at a location where I can get a shot at a deer. This is part of the challenge and pleasure. There are many skills involved in this. For example, walking around in the dark to find your designated spot. Deciding day to day where you are going to hunt, for example adjusting to different wind conditions. Getting the deer out of the woods when you get one. How do you pick a spot in the first place? How do you figure out what the deer are going to do? For me, this is what deer hunting (elk hunting) is all about, and the size of the antlers is not materially involved in any of that. Bigger antlers is not better for me. Perhaps bigger racks are more challenging to get, but I don't go hunting to create an artificially difficult challenge. If I need that, maybe I could set myself the challenge of perambulating to my hunting site on my hands or hopping on one foot or any number of other ways to challenge myself. I don't see the point of introducing these kinds of challenges.

Anyway, within this hunting perspective, I have no use for baiting or food plots or elevated blinds. I walk to my place. I find a place on the ground that is shadowy, where I can be partly screened by surrounding vegetation, and I hunt. I view this as kind of hunting au natural. I get deer this way. I sort of feel that this is a more fun way to hunt. If you want to call this introducing a challenge, OK, so be it. You just have to learn when and how the deer are going to move. It is not an excessive level of difficulty.

But in the final analysis, so long as a hunter obeys the law, I'm OK with how he wants to hunt. I just prefer to hunt in the way I described above. I get more satisfaction from a kill that way. I don't feel like I've coerced the odds unfairly in my favor.