HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - In need of some duck recipes.
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Alsatian
Giant Nontypical

I have cooked this for many years but just repeated it last Saturday night with great success. The quantities can be scaled as appropriate for more people. I like to serve a mixture of white rice and wild rice (2 parts white rice, 1 part wild rice) as well as peas with this.

To serve two adults:

2 whole duck breasts (4 deboned half breasts)
1/4 cup minced red onion
3 minced cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup bourbon whiskey (I used Wild Turkey)
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil

1. Reduce the broth and whiskey by boiling to about 1/3 to 1/4 their initial volume.
2. Salt and pepper the duck breasts on both sides. (I pluck and freeze whole ducks so I can choose to roast whole, which I also like, or handle as in this recipe. Thus, I will also remove the duck thigh and drumstick and prepare with the breasts.)
3. Melt butter and mix with olive oil in skillet (oil keeps butter from burning easily).
4. Sautee the duck breast about 4 minutes per side on moderately high heat. The duck breast may be lightly pink when it comes to the table.
5. Remove the duck breasts to a heated platter or to a warming drawer.
6. Add the minced garlic and onion to the skillet and sautee for about a minute.
7. Stir in the dark brown sugar.
8. Add the reduced broth and bourbon liquids. Stir to make uniform and consistent.
9. Add the heavy cream. Boil while stirring until the desired thickness is achieved. Salt to taste.
10. Serve the duck breasts on serving plates and the sauce in a sauce bowl.

This quantity of sauce is fine for two whole duck breasts and likely enough for three whole duck breasts (6 deboned halves). I like to serve a light red wine with this, such as a Spanish rioja red wine. I will also serve some rice made with about 1 part wild rice and 2 parts white rice. I cook the wild rice in beef broth or venison broth for about 45 minutes. I then add this rice with just a bit of the broth in with the white rice. I add the quanity of liquid that is normally used to cook the white rice, and then I cook up the white rice and wild rice together. There is a timing offset between these -- white rice cooks in 20 minutes; wild rice is still very chewy and hard after only 20 minutes -- hence the pre-cooking of the wild rice.