HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are they realy doing our sport justice???
Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 PM
[email protected]
Spike

Default My thoughts

I hate to go against the grain guys, but I think there are quite a few hunting shows have helped make more people aware of the art of hunting. I do not refer to it as a sport because I think it is much more than a game. To me it is a way of life. That being said I watch hunting shows with my sons quite a bit. We discuss the size and age of the deer we see. We discuss whether someone made a good shot or not. I personally know some of the guys out there with shows right now, and I can guantee you that they have the same passion I have each time I step in the woods. We may not agree on every detail concerning hunting, but I know their love for it is authentic.

I have heard the public land vs. private land argument for years and I have hunted both extensively. The group of guys I hunt with are what I would call professional hunters. We have no endorsements or videos on the market, but we all have freezers full of venison and more animals than paintings on our walls. We understand wildlife management and do everything in our power to improve our local deer herds. We have spent years learning and sharing our experiences. Through that process, we have become better hunters. If I wanted to simply kill a legal deer, I could do it on almost any given weekend on public or private land with or without BAIT! Which brings up another point, what is bait? I have hunted public land that borders agricultural property. Should I avoid the natural funnels leading to those areas to give the deer a fighting chance - I think not. It is no different than hunting a hot white oak or a persimmon tree. I am a huge advocate for food plots on private land as well. If I can draw your deer to my area and build a healthier herd, I'm going to do it. If a 150 class buck comes over that works for me too. I will also use corn, soybeans, and protein in areas that won't grow successful food plots. I am a trophy hunter by choice. I fill my freezer with does during the early part of bow season so I can devote prime time for the big boys. We've had many people ask us over the years how we consistently kill big bucks. The answer is simple, we work at it 365 days a year. We have consistently killed some of the biggest bucks in the counties we hunt. It is partly because we know what we're doing, but more importantly because we put in the time it takes to be successful.

My kids will learn to hunt from me not a TV. I point out the good and bad as we watch any given show. Your point about caged deer is a good one Porkchop. Shooting a deer inside an enclosure is not hunting. I have not, and will not, participate or support high-fence hunting. I have heard all the arguments on both sides of that topic as well. The reality - money outweighs common sense. I do turn the channel when I see something taller than a 4 foot barbed-wire fence in the background. I'm just glad I still live in a country where I can watch a deer hunt on TV. In todays political climate there is no telling how long we'll get to enjoy that luxury.
Attached Images