HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 3 guns 6 loads all of N America
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Prairie Wolf
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by harter66
Shucks
Id hate to waste 180 on bobcats an coyotes and I don't feel comfy with a 150 for a moose or even a little grizz.
Yeah, but I don't know why a 180 at 2100 makes you feel any better. It has 665 ft/lbs less energy than the 150 at the velocities you gave. That's about 25% less. A 150 triple shock would penetrate about like a 180 lead bullet.

I might trade off the 100 gr HP for 6s.

The B steel kills honkers and swans just fine , I expect turkeys would go out just as quietly , in my BPS all 115 pellets live inside the 30" circle at 40yds. W/lead it opens up to become a 25 yd grouse gun w/9s multiple quail hits are likely.
B steel is OK, but I like BBB or T for honkers, and 2 or 3 for pheasants and ducks. Most of my goose hunting is pass shooting so I want as much range as I can get. Over decoys, you'd be golden with that pattern. I like to get at least 1500 fps, and I pick a load that gives me that, I load 2-3/4, 3" and 3-1/2". What I load depends on what hulls I have, some I buy, some are given to me. The last few years I've shot mostly factory, because they were on clearance for about 5 bucks a box. I can't reload cheaper than that. Of course, that is slow steel, but with larger shot sizes it still does OK and tends to pattern decent.

It is good to simplify.