HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting the most out of your trolling motor??? (extended care)
Old 05-29-2011, 03:51 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hillbillyhunter1
thanks for the reply Warren. I think where I'm messin' up was not ever charging until the night before...thanks for that info, I had never heard that before....I know I should add water too, but since I use it so infrequently, I never get around to it.

thanks again
Yeah - the longer you wait to charge them the worse the sulphating gets. It really pays major dividends, if you just take a little bit of time at the end of each trip. I don't know how your boat is set up - but on some of the boats I have had, the battery compartment is so miserable to get into - it almost makes you dread to get in there to do battery maint. I never did have an automatic onboard charger, but I am about to have one installed in the boat I have now. I'm getting too old for this nonsense.
By the way - I've never had a battery let me down on the water. Your electrical system - is the heart of your boat, and it always pays to keep it in tip top shape. Every year - I take part of a day to check over all the electrical connections to make sure they are tight and there is no corrosion anywhere - and I spray all the contacts with a corrosion blocking agent. If you take care of your boat - it will take care of you when you need it most.