Thread: new rifle owner
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 AM
hunt12ga
Typical Buck

I second Country's advice. There's no better way to learn the ropes than to go with a seasoned veteran. Many hunters (definitely not all) are glad to let people tag along for a hunt. You will probably learn more in one trip to the field than you can ever learn from us on this forum.

What state are you hunting in? Game laws can be messy in some states. Here in Illinois, our hunting rule book has some pretty confusing laws. I've asked Conservation Police about certain regulations and couldn't get clear answers. Ask a knowledgeable hunter to explain to you what you need to know to get started. Season dates, necessary licenses, drawing permits, legal weapons, bag limits, etc.

Practice with your rifle until you know what it will do before you pull the trigger. You owe it to what you're shooting at to be able to make shots that will produce a quick, humane kill. Anybody that's hunted very long has made a less-than-perfect (bad) shot, and you will do the same if you stay at it long enough. It happens, but it's our job to minimize that through practice.

Good luck to you and I look forward to hearing from you this fall when your season rolls in.

rw