HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Montana: Buyers remorse?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 09:52 AM
TwoBear
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by txhunter58
I agree with everything you say in your first paragraph. The experience has NOTHING to do with the price you pay. As far as you getting it (my point of view), please tell me where you are traveling out of state each year, spending a grand on a tag, and coming home empty handed 7 out of 10 years. And those odds are being generous for the average nonresident hunter. I can get the same "expeience" for 1/2 the money in Colorado.

Yes, there are probably many nonresident hunters who have been coming a long time, that will continue to come, but I will still bet you that it will be harder to sell out on the tags each year for the next few years
Like everything in life, you get what you pay for. Montana has longer seasons, less pressure, and access to better quality elk than Colorado. Too many, it is worth in quality to pay the extra for an elk only tag in Montana. If you are buying both, the cost is the same and Montana is the better bargain. Colorado does well because they are an OTC state, and a much closer drive for most folks. Comparing the two states are like apples to oranges in my view.