HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Montana: Buyers remorse?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 04:48 AM
txhunter58
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scottb3472
Well last time i checked, there were no, none, nada, zip, zilch, zero hunts that guarantee to get you a shot at an elk for less then $1,000.00. anywhere, especially on public land. Whether you do a DIY hunt or book an outfitter, regardless of the cost of the tag you have almost the same chance that a resident has depending on where the resident lives. Funny thing about wild animals, they just don't care how much a tag costs, It's called hunting, not killing. Like i said earlier, it's about the entire hunting experience, not just the filling of a tag.

Maybe i'm wrong on this issue, but i don't think so. Yes the prices are high, but we have quality animals and have them in decent numbers. I hear no one complaining that they spent 500-1,000 dollars more on their new truck as compared to what they could get it for 3 states away, so why do it with the cost of hunting tags?? I just don't get it.
I agree with everything you say in your first paragraph. The experience has NOTHING to do with the price you pay. As far as you getting it (my point of view), please tell me where you are traveling out of state each year, spending a grand on a tag, and coming home empty handed 7 out of 10 years. And those odds are being generous for the average nonresident hunter. I can get the same "expeience" for 1/2 the money in Colorado.

Yes, there are probably many nonresident hunters who have been coming a long time, that will continue to come, but I will still bet you that it will be harder to sell out on the tags each year for the next few years